Saturday, February 27, 2010

"Becoming part of the Kirby Family"

Yesterday afternoon the doorbell rang. I was a little surprised by it, and went and answered. It was a Kirby salesman offering to shampoo the carpet in one room. I am familiar with Kirby and how it works, and how expensive they can be. I figured that sure they could clean my carpet with no intention of buying one. I politely said sure, but I don't want to waste your time because I have no intention of purchasing one. I was told it was no problem.

So away he went with his demonstration. I wasn't sure how long it would take because I knew it could be lengthy. I figured an hour, maybe hour and a half. It took a little over two hours before he finally left. At the beginning of his demo he handed me the price sheet with different payment plan options. The cost is $3197.00. As he began his demonstration and showing how much dirt was left in my carpet after using my vacuum. He asked if I would be interested in one, and my response was, how much? He said check the paper. My bold response, was "that's not the price". He seemed somewhat taken aback, but not much. And told me that was the price. Again I said I know that it's not, how much? He consented that different arrangements could be made, and asked what I could pay. I said I could pay $200.

One weird thing in the demonstration was he asked to vacuum our mattress. I didn't allow him to, because I was uncomfortable with that. I didn't know that was part of the demo.

He continued the demonstration, and cleaned my carpet trying to me convince to buy one at different prices. As I told him, I know that Kirby's are good vacuums because my parents have one and have had it for years. (I found out 1989 when he showed me all of them to see which one.) I know I would use one, but couldn't afford to buy one at this time. They are a good vacuum, I don't doubt or deny that. He said they have a lifetime guarantee, and could give it to James. My response was I would rather spend that much money on his college education and not a vacuum. They really want you to join the "Kirby family" by the use of payments, which I said if we don't have the money we won't buy something. We don't like to live with payments. I did manage to get him down to $850.00, a definite improvement, but still too much. Once he had everything packed to leave he asked if he could use our restroom. Again, I had to say no. Thats just weird.

So, it wasted a couple of hours yesterday afternoon and I a have a cleaner living room rug. I'm not sure if I would do it again unless I was going to buy one since it took so long. But I was impressed with my haggling skills, since I knew I wasn't going to buy one, which I stated in the beginning. He also let me know as he was leaving that many people do change their mind and purchase one. I was no such person because I knew I didn't want to spend that money. What an afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment