Monday, October 25, 2010

"There's no place like home"

Back when we were moving to Lincoln I was blessed and encouraged by a ladies luncheon from friends in Hastings. Aside from great food and fellowship we had a little devotional on what a home is. I came across these papers the other day and thought that I would share some of their thoughts.


A home is...


-where you can come in without knocking, where all your "stuff" (makeup, hair supplies, etc.) has ITS own home.


-my dog running to greet me after a long day of work, my very own bed, my very own pillow, and the smell of the bed linens after being washed and hung outside to dry.


-where my family is, where I can be ME and nobody cares how weird I am.


- comfort, love, family, a safe haven, a loved one who welcomes you with a smile, a hello, a hug-it is not always a place like your home but something you held inyour heart.


-where I can relax, and enjoying coming to after being away.


-a comfortable place to put on you sweatpants and take your shoes off.


-where my family/roommates are.


-my house when all of our children are home for a visit.


-Hugs and kisses from thos you love, homemade chocolate chip cookies, summer breeze through an open window, watching snow fall while you are cozy inside.


-where I can be however I feel-completely silent and restful, giggly and silly, or busying myself with projects. Its whereever I am free to be who God made me.


-where the laughing never ends.


-the smell of my laundry detergent, a clean counter ready for bags of groceries. Home is Christ.



Do we dedicate our homes to the kingdom of God, for His use and plan? We use our homes in the Godly traing of our children as Deuteronomy 6:5-7 tells us "Love the lord your god with all heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. These commands are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home, when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up". How priviliged am I to teach my child in my home and to be home with him to do so. We must maintain unity in our homes. Matthew 12:25 says, "Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and any city or house divided against itself shall not stand". We are to be Godly women in our homes: "Encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their ouwn husbands, that the word of God may not be dishonored" Titus 2:5. Also, we open our homes to serve others. "Do not neglect to show hospitality to Strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it" Hebrews 13:2. In all these things we should be conforming to the image of Christ as we use our homes to serve Him.

Do we live as if we truly believe that this early home is temporary? That heaven awaits us, the perfect home. "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ" Phillipians 3:20.

What great reminders and encouragement. Thanks Jan and to all the others. Now I leave you with one more question.

What is home to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment